Health eHeart Community

a forum hosted by the Health eHeart Alliance

How to lower blood pressure

Hi,

I have hbp, was diagnosed couple of weeks ago its always been over 190-218. They started me on losartan 50 mg and amlodipine 5mg. And for some reason it seams like it is not going down, so I went to the ER and they increased my amlodipine to 10mg and adv me to contact my primary dr that following week.

For more details
Creative marketing agency

Hi mo41,
You might be interested in this webpage: http://nattokinasehearthealth.com/29/reduces-blood-pressure/
If nothing else, it would probably lead you to a way to allow you to reduce the doses of prescribed medicines with all their bad side effects!
Good luck!

I am an epidemiologist and I would be very war of the claims made for nattokinase on the web - certainly it is true that anti-hypertensive medications have side effects, as most drugs do, but rather than throwing them all out and accepting advertised claims that have a snake oil ring to them, I would recommend having a discussion with your cardiologist or primary care person abut how to maximize benefits and minimize side effects of medications that have been carefully studied.

As a long term sufferer of HTN and someone who has been on high doses of medication for about 18 years, I can empathise with your predicament. Obviously, a systolic BP of 190-218 is worrying for you and your immediate thoughts are to lower it as soon as possible. However, you need to know the pattern of your BP.
Firstly, I suggest asking your physician for a 24 hour BP to see what’s going on.
Secondly, the medications you have been prescribed take time to work. Jumping in with more medication is not the answer.
Thirdly, I would not trust any “hochus pochus” to lower your BP, stick to tried and tested medications. yes there are side effects but the biggest side effect of not taking them is a stroke. Take your medications regularly at the same time every day.
Your BP varies throughout the day and reacts to different situations, particularly stress, so try to calm yourself down prior to contemplating a measurement… Try to set up a routine for measurement. I measure twice a day morning when I get up and before I go to bed. I always ensure that I have been sitting quietly for at least 10 minutes prior to taking a measurement. I used a machine approved by the Hypertensive Society and I get the machine calibrated annually.
Personally, I have found exercise to be of great benefit but you should consult your doctor before undertaking any exercise plan and ensure that your BP is not sky high before you start running around. If you need to, lose weight, get help to do so. If you don’t, I would still look at your diet to see if it’s healthy. You can be thin on the outside and fat on the inside. The main objective is to be honest with yourself and realise that tablets alone will not prevent heart disease or a stroke. You need to be in the driving seat …Good luck!