Health eHeart Community

a forum hosted by the Health eHeart Alliance

Maltese with heart failure

HI,

I have an 11 year old Maltese, Ellie, who has just been diagnosed with heart failure. The progression of the disease has been really fast. She was hospitalised in November 2008, and had reconstructions done on both knees. At the time her heart was fine. Last week the vet told me she has developed a heart murmur, and further tests revealed she had heart failure affecting both sides of her heart. Her enlarged heart is pushing up her windpipe, causing her to cough. She also has fluid in her lungs, abdomen, and liver. She is taking heart tablets, and diuretics to get rid of the fluid.
It has been 4 days since diagnosis, and I can’t sleep - I’m terrified I will wake up to find that she has “gone”.I lost my other Maltese, Nelson last year to a brain tumour - he was 13, and I still really miss him :frowning:
Can anyone offer any advice on anything I can do at home to help her, or what I should feed her ? I’ve just switched to a dog food that is 0.02% salt, as it was the lowest sodium content I could find. Is that percentage low enough ?

Please help.

I didn’t find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
http://malteseforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1800
App video company

Thanks!