Health eHeart Community

a forum hosted by the Health eHeart Alliance

The heart needs T3 (liothyronine)

Many cardiovascular problems are due to low thyroid but patients are denied a trial yet no adverse effects have ever been reported.

Impaired sensitivity to thyroid hormone may affect everyone as they age.

Would you be interested in this topic? There appears to be a veil of secrecy over it.

Yes. I think this topic would be very worthwhile.

Yes I would be very interested in this topic.

As a sufferer from an impaired thyroid (due to large and extended doses of Amiodarone) I would be extremely interested in the results of a study such as this.

Yes, this sounds interesting to me as well.

It does not get more stupid than this.
Where is the proof to backup this claim ?
‘Many cardiovascular problems are due to low thyroid’ and then propose a study.
That means that it has never been proven to be a fact.
Amiodarone has as a side effect a low thyroid function. That does not mean that amiodarone causes heart disease by lowering the thyroid hormone.
I am quite sure that behind this posting sits someone who has an interest in selling people thyroid hormone, which causes tachycardia (fast heart rate), and can actually be quite dangerous.
Unless that person is willing on this forum to backup his claim, which I bet he cannot.
I will also tag this as a dangerous post.

Yes.

As someone affected by Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s, I believe that research is severely lacking in this area, and that there is a deficit of knowledge among those who would treat us.
My cardiovascular disease was present long before my thyroid disease was diagnosed therefore I am not sure whether or not there is a causal effect in my case?
For many years I was unsatisfactorily treated with Levothyroxine alone until I convinced my Endocrinologist to let me try a wee bit of T3. She was very reluctant because of my existing heart disease but she monitored me and we agreed on 10 mcg per day (working slowly up to this dose and titrating T4 downwards). What a difference it made! I feel so much better.

Of course I would support a proposal to look into the role of T3 in the treatment of hypothyroidism however, this is a very complex area of research so not one for the faint hearted.

I think you’d find this book by Hugh A Hamilton very interesting - Impaired Sensitivity to Thyroid Hormone (Thyroid Hormone Resistance): A Cause of Heart Disease, Cancer, Autoimmune Conditions, Women’s Health Issues, Strokes, … Fibromyalgia, Depression and Other Issues.

Thank you, I will have a look at the book you suggest

Yes I’m interested.